vnext support

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:24 AM
Hi,
is the support for aspnet 6 (vnext) planned/started ?
Coordinator
Jan 11, 2015 at 11:46 PM
I think you mean ASP.NET 5, not 6. It's confusing because it comes with MVC 6 :)

But anyway, no work has been done in T4MVC so far to support it. I'm not even clear whether it would work by just evolving the current t4mvc, or by writing a new similar but different template.

I would say that I personally don't have the time to drive major work related to this, so someone would have to carry the torch.
Developer
Jan 14, 2015 at 11:45 AM
Edited Jan 14, 2015 at 11:47 AM
I just had a quick look at this, and it looks like there are two issues:
  1. The .tt files are not added to a vnext project by the nuget package manager.
  2. If I manually copy the .tt files there is no option to run them from the solution explorer.
@davidebbo - any ideas where to start with this? My guess is as the VS tooling is still a work in progress it doesn't support running T4 templates for the new .krpoj files yet.
Coordinator
Jan 14, 2015 at 2:09 PM
Hmmm, I'm not sure. I think it would be best to ask the general support for .tt file question in the vNext forum (and post link here for tracking).

If it doesn't get traction, I can go ask those guys directly as they're not too far from me :)
Developer
Jan 14, 2015 at 3:41 PM
I just posted the question on the aspnet GitHub site:
https://github.com/aspnet/Home/issues/272

I will update here when I hear back from asp.net team.
Developer
Jan 16, 2015 at 10:19 AM
Edited Jan 16, 2015 at 10:29 AM
Update from asp.net team:
No current plans to support it.
So I've raised it on user voice:

https://aspnet.uservoice.com/forums/252111-asp-net-vnext/suggestions/6970908-support-t4-templates-in-kproj-in-visual-studio
Coordinator
Jan 16, 2015 at 3:04 PM
If there is enough use demand, I suspect that could eventually add that support.
Developer
Jan 21, 2015 at 4:20 PM
The view of the asp.net team is that T4 templates won't be supported because they are not cross platform.

They have suggested building an alternative using Roslyn. I am happy to start / co-ordinate this effort, but I doubt I would be able to re-implement all of T4MVC's functionality on my own before MVC 6 is released. If others have some time to help please post a note on this thread.

In terms of naming - @davidebbo would you see this as a new product (maybe called R4MVC) or simply T4MVC version 4?
Coordinator
Jan 26, 2015 at 9:25 PM
It sounds like it will be different enough that it should be a new project. R4MVC seems like a reasonable name.

It doesn't need to have everything from the get go. Besides, T4MVC has accumulated some baggage over the years, so it's a good opportunity to start clean and focus on what's relevant now, which may not be exactly the same as what mattered for T4MVC.

I'd suggest using GitHub...
Developer
Jan 27, 2015 at 8:22 AM
Do you see T4MVC and R4MVC as sister projects in the same GitHub org? If so I'd be happy to create a T4MVC org with a R4MVC repro so we can start tracking issues over there. You (or me) can then move T4MVC over when one of us has some time.
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2015 at 10:56 AM
Sharing the same org makes sense.

In the end, time is the big issue. For T4MVC, I've been getting a lot of contributions through the years, including some people with multiple solid contributions. But what I didn't see happen is for someone to really step in with the desire to really become a co-owner, and help with reviewing and merging contributions, and help people with their issues. As a result, it's been pretty time consuming on my end, as I've been the single point of contact.

So to be perfectly honest, why I love the idea of a flavor of T4MVC from vNext, I'd likely have a much smaller involvement than with T4MVC. In other words, you'd probably be the man! :) At least until others step in to help out.

As for moving T4MVC to GitHub, I've been wanting to do it for a while as it's clearly the better site. I just haven't had the time. I'm not sure how easy it is to move the wiki, as they use different markup languages. Hopefully there are some converters out there.
Developer
Jan 27, 2015 at 1:05 PM
Great - I'll make a start getting things setup on GitHub.

I'm happy to take the lead on R4MVC, and to do what I can on T4MVC. I tried to make some contributions before but struggled with editing the T4 file, so I'm not sure how much use I'll be.

Re. migrating the wiki - I had a quick look at Dom Christie's markdown converter this morning. It looks like it can do the job:
http://domchristie.github.io/to-markdown/

If you want to make me a collaborator on CodePlex, I'll run the wiki pages sources through it and and see how it converts.
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2015 at 3:22 PM
I just added you. Thanks for offering to help! :)

That tool appears to be to convert HTML, while the T4MVC wiki is using the Codeplex markup syntax. I'm not sure if it's something unique to Codeplex or some kind of standard.
Developer
Jan 27, 2015 at 4:24 PM
I noticed this morning there a radio button in the CodePlex editor to see the markup as HTML.

Dom Christie's tool seems to do a pretty good job - it's just the code samples which need to be converted manually to markdown:

https://github.com/T4MVC/T4MVC

and

https://github.com/T4MVC/T4MVC/wiki/Documentation
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2015 at 5:14 PM
That's awesome, thanks for driving this!

There are a number of old issues on Codeplex, many of them probably stale. I think the best approach is to close them all, asking people to re-open them on Codeplex if they're still relevant. This way we start clean :)
Developer
Jan 28, 2015 at 11:06 AM
I don't see a close option on the issues page. If you can bump my permissions up, I'll close them all down with note to re-post on GitHub if they are still valid issues.

Once that's done if it's OK with I'll updated the home page with link to the GitHub site?
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2015 at 11:08 AM
Ah sorry, I guess I had made you an 'editor'. You're now a Developer which should allow everything!
Developer
Jan 28, 2015 at 3:18 PM
Thanks. It's done - all issues closed and home page updated.

For those interested in vnext support - we have a dedicated repro on GitHub:
https://github.com/T4MVC/R4MVC
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2015 at 5:35 PM
And I just closed all the pending PRs. Clean start! :)