This project is read-only.

Nested MVC applications in the same website

Oct 17, 2014 at 5:08 PM
Hi,
I have two mvc applications, the legacy one :) and the new one.
they are deployed in the same website, the legacy is the parent website, the new one is in as virtual directory in IIS

so for exeample /home/index is under the legacy application and /new/home/index is the new one.

I want to use T4MVC in both applications, since the legacy one will stay there for a while and i need to generate urls from one application to the other.

what do you think about this approach?
Would it logic to put the generated string classes with T4MVC in a new project so the two project share the same thing ?

Thanks for help
Oct 17, 2014 at 5:14 PM
If they're two separate MVC applications, I'm not sure it's worth trying to share anything between the two. So maybe adding T4MVC separately to each is best.
Oct 17, 2014 at 5:32 PM
Yes but i have to point urls from an application to the other and vice versa :)
for exemple from home of the legacy one i go to some admin page in the new one and have to go back from there

Especialy backlinks, menus ...
Oct 20, 2014 at 9:43 AM
So what i want now is that the autogenerated files are generated in a separate library that i can share between applications.
Is that possible ? where i have to look?
something like this http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adonet/archive/2010/01/25/walkthrough-poco-template-for-the-entity-framework.aspx (6. Edit “Blogging.tt” to fix the link to “blogging.edmx”)

Thank you for your help
Oct 20, 2014 at 6:23 PM
T4MVC doesn't have direct support for doing this today, as it always generates source files directly in the project where it lives. Conceivably it could be changed to cover this kind of scenario, but you'll need to make that happen :)

Maybe start looking around GetProjectContainingT4File. Conceivably it can be configured to look for a project other than where the .tt file lives.
Dec 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM
I have a need to do something similar.. Essentially want to have T4MVC in one project, but have T4MVC perform its actions against another project.

At least, that's my initial need. I'm fairly certain this really means I need to refactor out that dependency.